Advanced Motivational Interviewing
A Three-Day Online Workshop to Explore
Advanced Practice, Training, and Supervision of Motivational Interviewing (MI)
William R. Miller, Ph.D.
Theresa B. Moyers, Ph.D.
Click here for a printable flier.
November 14–16, 2022
Virtual workshop with both trainers all 3 days
16 CEs accredited by the
American Psychological Association
This workshop is designed for participants in a variety of positions, including leaders, coaches, clinicians, administrators and supervisors. Newer users of MI may struggle to participate fully in practice exercises for this workshop, so some experience with MI is recommended. If you are in doubt, we can discuss this with you individually. We encourage international applicants, while recognizing that this workshop will require a facile working knowledge of English and accommodation to time zone differences.
Some of the topics we will cover in this workshop:
- Offering complex reflections: how to do it and how to teach it
- Cultivating Change Talk: Advanced methods for encouraging change talk from clients
- Expression of Empathy versus Softening Sustain Talk: How to hit the balance
- When and how to maintain neutrality in people’s dilemmas
- Supervising MI: A primer on what we know and tools to help
- MI in Groups: How is it the same, how is it different?
- MI in your system: What changes are possible?
William Miller, Ph.D. is Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of New Mexico. The original founder of Motivational Interviewing, Dr. Miller’s distinguished career has spanned six decades, pioneering methods to inform how clinicians treat and respond to their clients.
Theresa B. Moyers, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist and Professor of Psychology at the University of New Mexico. Dr. Moyers’ research focuses on the training of therapeutic skills as well as identifying causal mechanisms of Motivational Interviewing. She is co-author with Dr. Miller of the 2021 book Effective Psychotherapists: Clinical Skills that Improve Client Outcomes.
Virtual Platform Participation
This training will be conducted virtually from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (Mountain Time; GMT – 6:00) daily, with a break from 12:00 pm to 12:30 pm. We know that some online workshops feature mostly didactic lectures – but not this one. We will be using demonstration, discussion and interpersonal exercises wherein participants will practice skills with each other.
In fairness to others, it is important that registrants be prepared to attend the full workshop and give their attention as they would for an in-person workshop. In keeping with this approach, our CEU sponsor requires that cameras be kept on during the workshop. We know that life can interrupt online meetings, so we respectfully request your sincere efforts to be present and ready to work during this workshop. If you cannot meet these requirements, we look forward to seeing you in a face-to-face training soon. Questions? Feel free to contact us.
- You must be present for all three full days in order to receive CE credits.
- Payment can be made through PayPal/credit card or check. No purchase orders can be processed for this training.
- You may receive a full refund for this workshop prior to September 15. After September 15, no refunds will be issued.
Click here to register today!
This training is ideal for individuals who have already learned the basics of MI and are using it in their professional settings, including social workers, clergy, health educators, care managers, counselors, psychologists, corrections officers and many others.
Included in the Workshop
- 16 hours of expert training with both teaching and experiential components
- 16 hours of CEUs from the American Psychological Association
Click here to register today!
Return to SquareTop Training & Consulting Homepage.